My Rochester delved once again into Barrowmaze (their second session, first session here.
Note: I am using my homebrew rules for The Black Hack to run this. For more information, click here.
- Emma- Elf Ranger
- Jamie- Elf Cleric (Deity is Silvanus, the Green Man)
- Angie- Dwarf Druid
- Nate- Half Demon Warlock
- Katie- Half-elf Warrior
- Kevin- Human Thief
Couldn’t Make It
- DJ- Dwarf Fighter
- Sammi- Half-elf Wizard
Kevin hired Samuel DaMule, local torch boy, and a few peeps restocked their supplies. Angie and Jamie both caroused and didn’t do so well. Both borrowed money from Babbins Hairytoes, a halfling crime lord in Helix. Jamie made an ass out of himself and will suffer Disadvantage to all Charisma rolls in Helix for the next month and Angie gambled like a mofo and ended up further in debt to Hairytoes.
After carousing was settled I asked the group if they wanted to explore the mounds or the dungeon. Everyone voted for the dungeon, so away we went.
Here’s a break down/highlight of what happened (arranged in order of how they explored).
Room 1 (Entrance)
- Nothing encountered. Graffiti on door, “Make no sound, they will seek you out.”
- Door opened slightly. Katie proceeds in and is attacked by three horribly blood red spiders. Samuel DaMule, the local torch boy, screams and flees, going further into the dungeon. Angie is nearly killed by two of the spiders before they are all vanquished.
- Empty except for evidence of something being here for a long time.
- Dead body in room. Graffiti on wall, “Can’t get out. Gods help me.” Party loots body.
- Group encounters zombies, led by the undead version of Samuel DaMule. Emma kills Samuel, Kevin kills another. Jamie banishes undead and remaining two go fleeing into the night.
- Jamie walked up to dead body covered in yellow mold- it explodes in a huge puff of yellow smoke. Jamie critically succeeded his Cons save (lucky bastard), so doesn’t die and doesn’t lose his gear.
- Kevin opens door and fails his save- stabbed by giant crab spider and feels his body seize up, but can still move. Tries to get free and critically fails, impaling himself further and goes paralyzed. The spider lifts him into the room. Katie closes the door and the group moves on.
- We got a good laugh at this because it was Katie’s first time RPGing and her inner murderhobo shined through! 🙂
- Jamie becomes the “door-kicker-opener” after Kevin’s untimely demise.
- Room is empty except for debris.
- Room with several doors, decide to go down hall. Encounter nothing.
- Jamie the Paladin opens the door. Three dead bodies are being consumed by rats the size of a medium dog. Jamie quietly closes the door and group continues on.
- Group enters long hallway (from room 20) and sees open pit. Angie turns into a bird and flies across. Katie tries to take her time and ledge climb across (Dex of 7). The rest of the group tries to jump and all fail except Nate, who uses Emma’s back as a spring board. Fall into pit and discover Kevin 2.0 (now a Paladin, his thief died in Room 11-Q2) in the pit. Been in there for two days. Previous group left him.
- Got out of pit saw several hallways and doors, including double doors. Chanting “double doors! Double doors!” the group entered the double doors.
- Long hallway with stairways leading down to a large room (can’t really see). Attack by a ghoul hanging out on the ceiling. Attacks and paralyzes Kevin and Nate before they know what’s going on. Jamie turned the ghoul and it was killed by Emma and Angie as it tried to flee.
- Nate realizes that as a dwarven druid, Angie is actually a Fraggle. Thus, the name Gorf the Druid Dwarf is born.
- Large obelisk with strange runes that appear simultaneously in dwarven, elven, half-orc, and common. Runes speak of a dark ritual to Nagrul.
- Group loots burial alcoves- no encounters- finds gold, a small elephant king statue, gold earrings, a fine suit of plate mail, a nice cloak, and a beautiful broach that seemingly repels dust.
- Aside: I was really curious to see how this room would play out. In Barrowmaze there is a pretty beefy encounter that can happen here (I’m not saying what it is as some of my group scopes my blog). There is a 70% chance upon entering the room that the baddies are here and I had Katie roll the d100 so she could get experience rolling one and she rolled a fucking 94! Poof- there goes that encounter… for now.
After the group finished with room 43 we called it quits for the evening as it was getting late and certain players were looking like poor wilted flowers.
It was great fun! I’m looking forward to Sunday’s session with my online group!
Time to go restock!
Liam- Elf Wizard (1st level)
Stan Human Torch Boy (Hireling)
Jamie- Halfling Paladin (1st level)
Nate- Human Warlock (1st level)
Chad- Halfling Thief (2nd level)
Samuel DaMule, Torch Boy (Hireling)
Kevin- Human Thief (2nd level)