When I decided to create my megaduneon, I first looked at which classes I wanted to allow (and the answer will be ALL of them- this will be a Flailsnail game, after all), but first I wanted to limit the choices to give some focus, etc.
One I knew I’d want (especially as I was pondering a Barrowmaze campaign in the interim) was Paladin.
I looked at S&W, Pathfinder, and 5e for inspiration for how I wanted to craft the Paladin for my Black Hack game.
Starting HP: 1d10 + 4
HP Per Level/Resting: 1d10
Weapons & Armor: Any and All
Attack Damage: 1d8 / 1d6 Unarmed or Improvising
Combatant: Paladins gain an additional attack at 3rd, 6th, and 9th level.
Divine Blessing: A Paladin can channel the might of their deity and have access to several powers. At first level, a Paladin has 1 Ability slot. This is increased to two slots at 5th level and three slots at 10th. When a Paladin uses an ability, they must test their Charisma. If they succeed the slot is not consumed and they can use another ability (and test again). If they fail the slot is consumed and they cannot use any further abilities without resting for 8 hours.
- Lay on Hands: Once per day, a Paladin can channel the power of their deity and heal a target with their touch. The touched target regains 1 HD of HP back.
- Detect Good and Evil: Functions as Detect Evil spell (pg XX).
- Smite Enemy: The Paladin’s weapon is bathed in holy light. They gain Advantage to an attack against their target and deals additional damage equal to Paladin level.\
- Aura of Faith: Allies and Paladin in a Nearby radius are immune to fear effects for 1 turn per Paladin level.
- Radiant Weapon: The Paladin summons a spectral version of the holy weapon of their deity. The weapon flies at the target designated by the Paladin and strikes (no attack roll needed). The weapon deals Paladin class damage +1 and is treated as magical for purposes of overcoming any form of resistances, etc.
Prayer: After a Paladin has expended all their Divine Blessing slots, they are able to rest for an hour and pray. At the end of the hour, they test their Charisma to see if their deity heard them. If successful, the Paladin regains the use of 1 slot. This can be done once per day.
Immune to Disease: Paladin’s are blessed with divine health. They are immune to all natural, supernatural, or magical diseases.
Roll to see if attributes increase, roll twice for STR or CHR.