I recently bought Hyper Light Drifter (albeit for PS4) the other day and man- what a fucking beautiful game. The graphics and colors are gorgeous and the game play is challenging (sometimes frustrating) and rewarding.
This AM I decided the create a class inspired for it for The Black Hack. Enjoy.
Hyper Light Drifter
The Hyper Light Drifter is a guardian. They are a sentient AI in a bio-engineered body. The body is constructed of living matter, so like any living thing it requires rest, sustenance, and can feel pain. Legends believe that the Hyper Light Drifters were created to combat a great super AI that was terrorizing their world. The Super AI created terrible monstrosities called Titans. These huge creatures laid waste to anything they came across. The Hyper Light Drifters were able to defeat the Titans and the Super AI, but at a great cost: their world was left in ruin and most of the Hyper Light Drifters were destroyed in the grand battle.
The remaining Hyper Light Drifters wander the galaxy, landing on planets to explore and look for a cause they can rally behind. Where there is darkness, oppression, and evil you will find a Hyper Light Drifter to bring illumination to the world and push the vile forces back.
Starting HP: 1d8+4
Hit Points Per Level/Resting: 1d8 HP/lvl
Weapon and Armor: Light Weapon, grenades, pistols, shotguns, rail gun, padded, leather, and studded leather armor.
Weapon Damage: 1d8/1d6 Unarmed or Improvised
Light Weapon: The Hyper Light Drifter’s weapon is made of pure energy that is powered by their own systems. The weapon resembles a short sword (roughly 18” in length). The Hyper Light Drifter can also transform the weapon into another form. For form roll on table below. This weapon is treated as a +1 for the purpose of overcoming damage reductions, etc.
Energy Reserves: The Hyper Light Drifter has stores of energy that allows them to do fantastic abilities. A Hyper Light Drifter’s Energy Reserve is equal to half their level. Using each ability reduces the reserve by one.
- Enhance Weapon: Energy runs through the Light Weapon causing it to grow brighter. The Light Weapon now does 1d10 damage. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the Hyper Light Drifter’s level.
- Deflection: The Hyper Light Drifter encases themselves in energy that will deflect any attack (even magical). If the attack is ranged (or ranged magical- but the Hyper Light Drifter must be the sole focus of the attack), roll 1d6. If the result is a 5-6, the attack is rebounded at the attacker and hits. This can be done as a reaction. Lasts for one attack.
- Hyper Light Dash: The Hyper Light Drifter can phase slightly out of reality and travel a distance the blink of an eye. The Hyper Light Drifter can travel up to Not So Nearby (roughly 60ft) in a round. The Hyper Light Drifter can use this to travel over a cliff, river, etc. There must be sturdy ground on the other side for this to work. This can be used as a reaction to avoid an attack.
- Heal: The Hyper Light Drifter uses their Energy Reserve to heal themselves for 1d8 HP.
- Multiple Attacks: The Hyper Light Drifter uses their Energy Reserve to enhance their attacking speed, allowing them multiple attacks in a single round. The Hyper Light Drifter gains 1d4 additional attacks. At 5th level this is increased to 1d6 attacks.
Inner Strength: Once per day, after all reserves have been depleted, a Hyper Light Drifter can attempt to pull more energy from their body. Roll 1d6: if the result is a 4-6, the Hyper Light Drifter is successful and regains 1 Energy Reserve.
Understand Advanced Technology: Being a sentient AI gives the Hyper Light Drifter knowledge of technology. They are able to use (or figure out) technology, even if it is advanced and beyond the scope of the planet they are on, without suffering Disadvantage. This means they can hack into computers, unlock doors with a keypad, etc. with a normal Intelligence roll.
Roll all Attributes to see if they increase, roll twice for STR or DEX
Weapon: Light Weapon
ARMOR: Padded Armor
ADDITIONAL: Rations (d6), waterskin (d6), bedroll, torches x6 (d6), and healing salve (1 Hit Dice of HP restored).
|What is your Light Weapon?|
*= Uses Dual Wield/Two-handed Weapon rules.
^= Can be thrown at a target up to 10’ away, but disappears after target is hit. The sword reappears in the Hyper Light Drifter’s hand at the beginning of the next round.
|CLOSE||NEARBY||NOT SO NEARBY||FAR AWAY||DISTANT||WAY FAR AWAY|
|0 – 5ft||5 – 30 ft||30 – 60 ft||60 – 120 ft||120 – 300 ft||BEYOND 300 FT|