Edit: I have finished Firefly up through Box Set 2 release of Dragon Age as of 03/16/11.
Here is the full PDF.
Edit: I realized I forgot to put that the charts for the Ability Scores are trying to keep with the AGE mechanics. The descriptions come from the Serenity RPG however.
The other day I posted what I have done thus far on converting the Cortex RPG system of Firefly to the AGE system by Green Ronin.
Today I’ve started the task of figuring out starships and space combat for a system that doesn’t have such rules.
Here is what I have jotted down thus far. I am open to suggestions. I still have a few things to do and add as time goes on.
Ships and Space
• Keep Space flight simple.
• Keep Ship stats and rules the same as ground.
• -4 for ships to hit people.
• Heavy Weapons can do damage to a ships hull.
• Two types of Propulsion- Reaction Thrusters and Pulse Drives (pg 100)
o Reaction Thrusters are burners and can be used in atmosphere.
o Pulse Drives are for fast travel in space.
• Power for the worlds and ships are Fusion based. Using Hydrogen-Oxygen Fuel cells for Ships that funnels the energy created by the Fusion Plant into the ship- the exhaust produces clean water and can be used to distill alcohol.
o Ground vehicles use Hydrogen fueled motors and utilize Power Cells.
Parts of a ship
• Life Support
o Atmosphere System
• Air Filtration
o Water Tanks
o Waste Management
• Fusion Plant
o Hydrogen-Oxygen Fuel Cells
Exhaust is clean usable water
• Reaction Thrusters
• Pulse Drive
Fly by Wire System- most spacecrafts
Navigational Beacons were deposited throughout core worlds and high traffic areas of the rim by Alliance. These are separate from the Cortex. Ships can do SoS and search messages through these beacons.
• Using four of these or contacting a planet or moons communication system will give ship a time stamp for date and time.
Simple detectors- tell crew what is out there
Scanners- This makes sense of what the simple detectors are seeing and gives details.
The Cortex utilizes all modes of communication to make sure messages are delivered.
• Messages are called Waves
• There is usually an 8 hour delay between Core Worlds and Rim for Waves due to Speed of Light.
• Messages are prerecorded. Live messages have a limit of 100,000 miles.
o Ships are generally unarmed. The Alliance deems that such armaments are illegal save for rare cases and the Alliances own ships.
Four types of Weapons-
• Space Mines
o Maintaining a ship-
• Communication- See Perception
• Hit Points
Ship attributes show the type of ship you are flying
• Communication- See Perception
• Constitution– This ability shows the ships upkeep and maintenance.
o Barely holding together- 0 (-10 Hit Points).
o In need of regular service- 1 (+ 0 Hit Points).
o Performs well within standard maintenance- 2 (+5 Hit Points).
o Newer model or design requires low maintenance- 3 (+10 Hit Points).
o Newer model or design has redundant system built in- 4 (+15 Hit Points).
o Fresh-off-the-line model or design auto-repair systems built in- 5 (+20 Hit Points).
• Cunning– This ability represents the ships computer functions (auto-pilot and computer safe guards).
o Barebones- Can make only basic corrections, stop in emergencies, or sound an alarm- 0.
o Substandard- Can handle mundane flight details, and issue automated responses to communication attempts- 1.
o Average- Can auto-calculate a flight plan with correct input, account for unusual (but not unheard of) anomalies during flight- 2.
o Good- Fast response and crash avoidance, auto-landing routine on predictable terrain- 3.
o Excellent- Auto-checks sensor information to verify its accuracy, extensive emergency response programming- 4.
o Amazing- Sophisticated systems can handle most flight details without pilot assistance- 5.
• Dexterity– This ability shows the ships maneuverability and handling.
o Slow unresponsive maneuverability- Alliance Cruiser- Rating – 0.
o Ungainly, slow maneuvering- Alliance Liner- 1.
o Average maneuverability- Military Patrol Boat- 2.
o Good maneuverability- Firefly Class Transport- 3.
o Exceptional maneuverability- Alliance Gunship- 4.
o Near perfect maneuverability- Hummingbird Fighters- 5.
• Perception– This ability represents the ships sensors and recognition systems.
o Rudimentary- Only the barest nav-sat, Cortex access, and communications equipment- 0.
o Basic-Typical needs for a privately-owned civilian vessel, including long range emergency beacons for distress situations- 1.
o Average- Standard commercial vessel- 2.
o Good- Standard military vessel- 3.
o Excellent- Military listening post- 4.
o Amazing- Expensive sensors or communications gear designed to send/receive broadwave messages, scan all spectrums, and analyze all frequencies- 5.
• Strength– This ability shows the ships weight and plating for resisting damage.
o 10-100 tons- Escape Pod, One-Man Shuttle- 0.
o 100-1,000 tons- Small Transport, Standard Short Range Shuttle- 1.
o 1,000-10,000 tons- Mid-bulk Transport, Firefly Class ships- 2.
o 10,000-100,000 tons- Large Transport, Blockade Runner- 3.
o 100,000-1 million tons- Alliance Warship- 4.
o 1 million-10 million tons- Alliance Cruiser- 5.
• Willpower– This ability represents the safety systems of the ship, as well as the function of the ship as it takes damage. This also represents a ships ability to be jury-rigged for temporary repairs and bypasses and the ability to push a ship beyond her normal limits.
o Rudimentary- Auxilary life-support and little else- 0.
o Basic-Automatically seals bulkheads at critical sections, backups available for the most critical systems- 1.
o Average- Often able to maintain optimal function after modest damage- 2.
o Good- Most ship systems have an auxiliary backup- 3.
o Excellent- Damage containment protocols and redundant backup systems may allow ship functions to continue after significant damage- 4.
o Amazing- Modular, redundant system designs and integrated emergency procedures allow ship to often function even after extensive damage- 5.
• Speed– 10 + Ship Dexterity Rating
• Defense– 10 + Ship Dexterity Rating + (piloting focus)
• Armor– Ship Strength Rating + Hull Rating.
• Hit Points– 30 + Constitution Modifier.
Placing Starship Attributes–
Ships get 15 Ability points to allocate.
Ship starting cost is 10 per ton times Cost Complexity.
Add Constitution and Strength Rating divide by .5 and round down.
Cargo Capacity in the Ship–
Keeping with the philosophy of the AGE system, tracking encumbrance and weight that a ship can hold have been removed to avoid unneeded complexity. What a ship can hold is abstract and final call should be made by the GM.