Last week I mentioned that I had great success with using the goals and complications/twist/conditions mechanics from Mouse Guard. I was so excited about it I decided to incorporate the Beliefs and Instincts Mechanic from Mouse Guard as well.
I explained how it works, and there was little hesitation from my players. In fact most of them began writing quickly and had a belief and instinct before I was even done explaining it all! Awesome!
I know that using Beliefs and Instincts will take some getting used to for us, but I know it will be a success.
I haven’t started the session recap for Sunday on my Obsidian Portal page because I wanted to get this out there first.
Here is what my players came up with.
• Belief- Everyone can be saved.
• Instinct- Be prepared, be inquisitive.
• Belief- My home is where I belong and they need me.
• Instinct- Joke about the danger we are in.
• Belief- I believe everyone wants to know their future, even if they say they don’t.
• Instinct- I read a person’s aura when I first meet them.
• Belief- Stature is no indication of strength.
• Instinct- Stand up for those who can’t do it themselves.
• Belief- Anything can be done with some determination.
• Instinct- Draw my sword at the first sign of trouble.
• Belief- Love should never be messed with.
• Instinct- Always protect the children.
• Belief- Most truths are hidden, you just have to know where to look.
• Instinct- I always rely on my own resourcefulness first.
I was very happy after reading these. I know I can create challenges role-playing situations with these beliefs and instincts.
This session really didn’t have much to do with their instincts and beliefs, but was about them setting goals for exploring and interacting with the capital city of Galt, Isarn.
Next session they know where they are headed and I will be sure to snatch at the strings of a couple of the beliefs and see what kind of reaction I get! MWA HA HA!!
Allow Me a Moment to Gush
I’m very happy with my players. Each one took on this new role-playing mechanic ideology without any fuss or complaint. All of them were excited and have stepped up to all of the new options with enthusiasm.
So to them I give a heartfelt thank you for making our gaming table so awesome and a joy to GM!